Sunday, October 28, 2012

The AV Gig from H$LL


Since Halloween is this week, we have ghouls, ghosts and goblins on our minds. We let Jeff handle that one. This week, we all reflected on gigs and events that could made out as a meeting planner's nightmare - the power went out, a piece of equipment broke or a wire went bad. But my experience from May 2010 is literally from a meeting planner's version of Halloween 13.

My day started late at the Opryland Hotel in Nashville, TN. Our equipment was delayed due to inclement weather; and when it finally arrived, I was able to mount the two projectors, six lights and dimmers, three 40” LCD monitors, and one 32” monitor in record time. 
Shortly after lunch, I was about to hang the last monitor when a man on a cart drove by me, and rudely said I had to stop setting up gear and evacuate. I thought he was crazy, and proceeded to hang the monitor. Several minutes later, the same gentleman plus two more men drove by me, and told me and my crew to evacuate the building. Wishing we could finish up the job, we grudgingly left the hotel.

For hours, we stood in the rain outside on the Opryland steps waiting for permission from show management to re-enter the building and get back to work. It was fruitless, and we decided to call it a day.  My colleague and I decided grab dinner across the street and find out what was going on in the hotel. When we stepped out to leave, we saw this car parked next to the building.

At that point, we knew we were in trouble; and luckily, I was staying at the Country Inn and Suites on top of the hill opposite of the Opryland Hotel. We decided to wait out the storm at my hotel, and get to work the next morning to finish last minute preparations on the booth.
I awoke the next morning to one of the largest floods to take Nashville, TN.  I headed back to the Opryland Hotel to assess the damage, and found that it was only accessible by row boat.

Scrambling to leave Nashville I stood at the main entrance of the hotel and frantically made phone calls. Of course, I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw a staple “Elvis” from the wax museum floating by me.

I arrived home safely, but never saw the gear again. It probably floated away with “Elvis” to a better place.  Here are some more photos from employees at the Opryland Hotel:

Entrance to the Exhibit Hall where the booth was setup.
A lonely road case floating under the famous atrium.



 From the ballroom looking down to the convention center.
So next time your event isn't going as you planned, just think back to my own AV Halloween 13 experience. Happy Halloween!

By Cory Wetzell, Project Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment