Monday, September 17, 2012

The Jeff Show: A Unique Haunt in Denver

The Buckhorrn Exchange: main dining room
Everyone always assumes I get to go to all the glamorous parts of the world for gigs. To put it all in the proper perspective for you, I am writing this month’s installment at a Holiday Inn Express in Grand Island, NE. The weather is beautiful here; the sun is shining, the birds are singing and it hasn't rained in about 200 days. But it's still the Holiday Inn Express in Grand Island, NE.

Since I'm this far west, I recall a unique but tasty restaurant in Denver that is off the beaten path. I haven't eaten there for about four years. Since the joint has been open since the late 1800’s, odds are it is still worth the trip if you find yourself in Denver.

The Buckhorn Exchange sits in Denver's oldest neighborhood. It’s not much to look at from the outside, but you'll find a one-of-a-kind restaurant. This haunt has the oldest liquor license in Denver, and it's the place to go for a different dinner...like wild game meat. You know, rattle snake, elk, bison, that kind of stuff. Their menu is the most interesting I have ever seen. For the less adventurous, I hear they also have a really great steak. Although, I have never tried it.

The only thing that is a little creepy is the stuffed heads of the animals hanging on the walls. You can see from the picture I've included for this post...the décor fits, trust me.

Now, Denver has a lot of really great places to eat. The 16th Street Mall is crawling with them. But, you will never experience a place like the Buckhorn Exchange anywhere else. So give it try.

Well now, it’s time for me to figure out where we are all going for dinner tonight in Grand Island, NE. We tried the Texas Road House last night. Great wine list -- I’m kidding.

Wow, they have an Olive Garden and a Red Lobster here. We're in luck.

Until next month...

No comments:

Post a Comment